Yesterday Amazfit announced a newer model of their Pace GPS watch and I’m left thinking. How does this company make money? The new Amazfit Pace 2 has all the hardware you’d associate with high end GPS multi-sport watches from the likes of Garmin, Suunto or Polar but at a fraction of the price.
The original Amazfit Pace GPS watch had all the decent hardware but was let down by lack of software synergy and stuttered release of the English version of the watch.
While it was competitive in pricing, I’d rather trade in that experience by paying more for a wearable that is more complete in design and function. Hopefully the kinks would have been ironed out by the second edition of the Pace smart watch.
In the video above from Italy based Xiaomi Today, you can see the responsiveness of the touch display and the smart watch features of the Amazfit Pace 2. Looks pretty decent so far. You can also see the Amazfit Pace 2 being used to control smart appliances.
The press materials are Chinese worded so I’m did my best to translate the description and compare it versus what’s posted on other sites.
Amazfit Pace 2 features:
- Hand polished scratch resistant ceramic bezel with 316L stainless steel buttons
- Wrist based HR measurements, accelerometer, barometer, ambient light sensor
- Water resistant to 50m
- Alipay, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and GLONASS enabled
- Stores and plays music to connected Bluetooth earphones
- 4GB storage with 2GB available for use
- Sunlight visible touch enabled display
- Swim tracking capability for open water and pool swims
- 11 sports profiles including triathlon, hiking, cycling, swimming and so on
- VO2 max, Training effect, Recovery advisor scores provided by Firstbeat
- Battery lasts up to 5 days of regular use and up to 35 hours in GPS mode*
- Smart notifications and smart home appliance controls*
- 22mm quick release changeable watch straps
- Chinese language only for now*
*Refer to Amazfit for details.
The Amazfit Pace 2 will ship 31st December 2017 and there’s no word if an international version with English language will be available.
Source: Amazfit Central