Garmin wearables has traditionally been the preferred watches of land based sports such as running, cycling and triathlons. Today, the company made their foray into the diving sector with the announcement of the Garmin Descent Mk1 diving computer.
Unlike other gargantuan wrist worn diving computers, the Garmin Descent Mk1 is designed to wear like a normal watch suitable for any occasion with a simple change of the strap.
Designed for recreational, technical and free divers, the Descent Mk1 allows divers to plan their underwater adventure right on the watch and use GPS way points to automatically mark dive entry and exit points. The dive computer utilizes the Bühlmann ZHL-16c algorithm with configurable conservatism settings.
On land, the watch also packs the full suite of fitness and outdoor navigation tools we’ve come to associate with Garmin. You can expect features such as wrist based HR measurements, GP & GLONASS capabilities, a myriad of sports profiles and navigation with full-color onscreen mapping and location reference. Think of the Descent Mk 1 as a Garmin Fenix 5X with diving capabilities.
“No matter what kind of diver you are, the Descent Mk1 is the intuitive dive computer you won’t want to take off. And with features built for in and out of the water, packed into a watch form factor, you don’t have to,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of global consumer sales. “The Descent Mk1 was built by divers, for divers and we are so excited that our passion for engineering purpose-built devices, now supports the passion of underwater explorers.”
Garmin Descent Mk1 features:
- Full-featured dive computer – supports single-gas, multi-gas, gauge and apnea diving
- Dive log lets you store and review data from up to 10,000 dives
- Wrist based HR measurements
- All day activity tracker
- Full-color onscreen mapping and location reference with course creator feature
- 3-axis compass, gyroscope and barometric altimeter, GPS +GLONASS
- Advanced physiological metrics and training effects
- Smart notifications
- Connect IQ compatible
- Bluetooth® Smart, ANT+®, Wi-Fi®
- Selectable tone and vibration alerts
- Changeable Garmin QuickFit watch straps
- Up to 19 days in watch mode, 10 days in smartwatch mode, 40 hours in dive mode and 20 hours in GPS mode
The Garmin Descent Mk1 will be available in 2 styles – Stainless-steel bezel with silicone watch band ($999.99) or titanium bezel with scratch-resistant brushed DLC titanium bracelet. ($1499.99) The Descent Mk1 is being launched in conjunction with DEMA in Orlando, Florida, Nov. 1-4, booth #2234.
Source: Business Wire