Back in February this year, I found myself curiously attracted to the sleep metrics churned out by a ring I wear to bed every night. The Oura ring’s sleep algorithm was the first, and currently still the only, wearable to be independently validated by Stanford Research Institute.
Unfortunately the oversized ring was impractical for all day wear and short battery life that runs only 2-3 nights worth of sleep recording were some of its prominent shortcomings.
I’m happy to hear that the company is intending to release an improved version of their sleep tracking ring; one that has taken into consideration feedback from their initial wearable attempt at scientific sleep recording.
The new Oura ring is slimmer and 10 times more powerful than the previous edition. As it is, I was already impressed with the first generation Oura ring’s prowess – the company went on to add HRV tracking as a firmware update.
The new ring is also the first consumer-available wearable that offers guidance on how to improve your circadian alignment – optimal bedtimes, sleep improving habits along with personalised activity guidance will be provided. Sounds impressive doesn’t it?
Kinnunen, the Chief Scientist at Oura. “What makes this possible is our database of over a
million individual nights. We can utilize machine-learning to uncover previously hidden trends and patterns to serve individual people and help them understand themselves better.”
Oura Ring features:
- Made of titanium with scratch resistant diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating
- 100% medical grade, seamless and non-allergenic inner molding
- Tracks sleep duration, sleep stages, night-time resting heart rate and heart rate variability
- Dual-core arm-processor: ARM Cortex based ultra low power MCU
- In-ring memory to store data up to 6 weeks
- Water resistant: 100m / 328ft
- Bluetooth enabled
- Oura proprietary pulse waveform and pulse amplitude variation detection with
infrared PPG sensor
- Body temperature sensor
- 3D accelerometer and gyroscope
- Lasts up to an entire week on a single charge
The rings come in 3 designs; Balance, Heritage and Balance diamond with prices starting at $299. The Oura ring will ship in April 2018 and Oura is taking 20% off their rings if you order now.