The Samsung Gear Sport seems to have all the fitness tracking aspect covered with GPS, wrist HR measurement and all day activity tracking. Coupled with dedicated on board storage for music, Bluetooth connectivity for wireless earphones and contact-less payments via Samsung Pay, the Gear Sport might be the single device you require on your lengthy workout sessions.
While it doesn’t have the cellular capability of the Apple Watch Series 3, let’s not forget that the Gear S3 has already been there and done that.
With 5ATM water resistance and a swim tracking app from Speedo, those who count swimming as part of their fitness regime will not be disappointed.
Samsung Gear Sport features:
- All day activity tracker
- Full colour always on Super AMOLED Gorilla Glass3
- Wrist based heart rate measurements
- Tracks swim workouts with Speedo app
- GPS & GLONASS
- Powered by Samsung Tizen OS 3.0; compatible with Android and iOS
- 5 ATM water resistance
- Bluetooth 4.2 and 802.11 b / g / n 2.4GHz and NFC enabled
- 4GB on board storage with 768 RAM
- Accelerometer, barometer, gyro and an ambient light sensor
- Samsung Pay compatible
- Control of Samsung IoT-enabled devices through Samsung Connect
- Act as a remote control, whether for a PowerPoint presentation or Samsung Gear VR headset
- 300 mAH battery with wireless charging
- Available in black or blue with changeable 20mm watch straps
- Spotify Offline in select countries
Samsung has also included the successful turning bezel from the Gear S3 into the Gear Sport; employing it to control various watch functions including customisation of watch face.
Along with the Apple Watch Series 3, Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Vivoactive 3, the Samsung Gear move looks set to vie for the wearables market featuring contact-less payments.