This year alone, we’ve already seen multiple wireless earphone releases from the likes of Samsung, Jabra, Bose and more; with some featuring biometric measurement capabilities. This week, I chanced upon a Kickstarter project called Carat Pro that hopes to up the ante on wireless headphones.Not only does their ware measure heart rate, it also lists audiophile-grade sound, heart-rate monitoring, sport feedback, music storage, voice search and magnetic clasp design as laundry list of features.
Carat Pro Features:
- Heart rate measurement based on Valencell’s PerformTek Precision.
- Real-time audio coaching
- Voice search
- Shows HR and cadence on earbuds with LED blinks
- Bluetooth: Ver. 4.2
- Transmission range: up to 165ft.
- Paired devices: up to 8 and may simultaneously connect with 2 devices
- Supported codecs: AAC (for iOS)/Apt-X/SBC
- Carat Pro Speaker: Knowles’ Balanced Armature Units
- Battery: rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Music/talk time: up to 9 hours
- Bluetooth non-stop music play or call time: 6 hours
- Store Songs in MP3 / WAV / FLAC /AAC formats
- IP65 dust, water and sweat resistant
The Carat Pro wireless earphones can track your workout and have it synced to the Smart FIIL+ mobile app. Besides the lengthy battery life span and magnetic clasp design, the Carat Pro has a few notable features worth mentioning.The on board 4GB storage allows the user to store music and retrieve them for playing via voice search! According to the company, simply say, “Carat, play Closer by The Chainsmokers” and the song will start to play. When you’re in Bluetooth mode, you can even search for songs through streaming apps like Spotify.
The SDS tech (Speed Dependent Sound) within the Carat Pro can automatically tweak parameters such as bass and treble keep you moving. For example, the bass of a song might be increased during a run when subsequently reduced when the user slows down.Campaign marketing materials also seem to suggest the availability of fatigue, max HR and resting HR tests.
The recommended retail price is $249 but funding the project now can net you a unit at $169 or 32% off. The Carat Pro ships in June 2017 if the campaign is successfully funded.
There’s a lower priced Carat that’s shipping without all the goodies listed above. I’d say skip that and go for the Carat Pro if you’re thinking of funding the campaign.