Jabra threw us a nice surprise when they unveiled their wireless Elite Sport earbuds at IFA 2016. The $249.99 price tag will deter some but think of it as a heart rate monitor, a pseudo personal coach, plus Bluetooth headset. All combined into one device.
List of features of the Jabra Elite Sport
- Superior sound with up to three hours of music and calls (plus up to six hours additional charge from the portable charging case)
- Flexible wearing options with single or stereo earbud use
- Advanced heart rate analysis with automatic fitness level testing of VO2 Max, recovery advisor and race predictor
- In-ear audio coaching with real-time feedback
- Integrated Training Management with Jabra Sport Life app and support for all leading third-party fitness apps
- Three-year warranty against sweat and waterproof to IP67 rating
- Secure fit – perform at your best with incredibly light, ultra-secure earbuds
- Supports all major smartphone operating systems, including Android & iOS
There’s also an automatic rep counting feature which was highlighted in the press video. This is probably similar to the Jabra Sport Coach SE Trackfit motion sensor feature but I’ll have to confirm this.
The “support for all leading third part fitness apps” also sounds promising and I’m hoping it implies that the Elite Sport ear bud are capable of transmitting heart rate data to 3rd party apps. Let’s be frank, Jabra’s Sport Life mobile app may be good but we all have our favourite mobile fitness apps that capture all our workouts.
The IP67 rated Elite Sport earbuds ship with one year manufacturer standard warranty. Registration through the Jabra Sport Life app will activate additional two-year warranty period for the user.While wireless earbuds with heart rate monitors are still at its infancy with only releases from Samsung and Bragi, the entry of Jabra and probably a few more players in the near future should be a clear sign where hearables will trend towards next.
Jabra Elite Sport will be available for $249.99 exclusively at Best Buy stores on October 30. Pre-order on BestBuy.com will begin in late September.