If you’re the type of person who enjoys exercising (run, bike, walk) in the wee hours of the morning or late at night, you’d completely understand the scare you get when you hear a vehicle from afar and you silently hope the driver sees you early enough to provide safety clearance. I used to bike to work and I fitted my bike with 4 red blinkers to warn those huge lorry drivers I’m merely flesh on metal. Even then, I wondered if I should have added one more blinker just to be safe. LumaGlo, designer of wearable nighttime safety gear, wants to fix the visibility problem in a big way. Their LumaGlo Crossbelt provides 360° wearable illumination for runners and cyclists alike and hits the Kickstarter platform today.
LumaGlo Crossbelt Features
● 360° Visibility: The Crossbelt illuminates users from all directions. It’s designed to go beyond front and back lighting only, reducing the chance of being struck from the side. The solution’s many ultra-bright, multi-colored LEDs provide intense illumination—users can be seen from several blocks away.
● Automatic Brake Light: LumaGlo’s patent-pending innovation includes a built-in accelerometer to alert others when the wearer slows or stops by automatically causing the LEDs to flash bright red.
● Colored, Moving Patterns: Bright, multi-colored, dynamic LED patterns separate and emphasize the wearer from background lights. In emergency situations, a bright red strobe pattern can be activated.
● Design: The Crossbelt is one product with two convenient wear options, catering to all types of activities. It can be worn as a belt or a sash with a simple pivot of the custom-designed control pod. The Crossbelt fits over bulky clothing, backpacks, and bags.
● Weatherproof and Washable: Rain and freezing temperatures are no match for the Crossbelt’s rugged materials and design. If it gets dirty or sweaty, it can be rinsed or washed.
● Micro USB Rechargeable: Users can save on battery costs and benefit the planet. The Crossbelt’s charge lasts for 3-6 hours. Recharging is simple using the included micro USB cable.
Reflective vests may work when there’s light but the LumaGlo Crossbelt illuminates on its own with the on board battery and LEDs. The good thing about the Crossbelt is how it factors in visibility for the wearer from all angles. Most headlights or feet lights merely illuminate the front and back of the wearer and at only 2 points of the body; the Crossbelt essentially highlights the entire torso.
The feature that got my attention is the brake light. According to LumaGlo, the patent pending innovation taps on the in built accelerometer to detect when the user is stationary and will automatically cause the LEDs to flash bright red. I’m curious how this feature would kick in for cyclists whose torsos are pretty much stationary unlike runners or walkers.
The LumaGlo Crossbelt lasts up to 6 hours and recharges with a micro USB cable. It’s also splash proof and can be rinsed or hand washed.