New Balance has joined the smartwatch race with their new RunIQ GPS enabled watch. This unique collaboration involves Strava, Intel, New Balance and is powered by Android Wear. The smartwatch will retail for the princely sum of $299.99.
The NB RunIQ smartwatch is made by runners for runners suggesting a fitness first focus before smart watch capabilities. With Android Wear powering the watch, users can expect a decent sleuth of features such as smart notifications with on-the-go replies or playing of music through Google Play. The battery life lasts up to 24 hours “with typical use” implying daily charging. Also, the RunIQ is only good for 5 hours of continuous usage with GPS and wrist based HR, longer than the global average marathon completion time. There’s no word whether this 5 hours is with music turned off. I’ll update when I learn more. Just to stress that the battery life is hardly impressive given that Apple Watch Series 2 got a bump in battery life with Watch OS 2 and Samsung’s Gear S3 lasts up to 4 days.
Run IQ Smart Watch Features:
- Up to 24-hour battery life with typical use, or up to 5 hours continuous life with GPS and HR monitoring
- Sync, store music and listen to Google Play playlists via Bluetooth™ headphones
- Water resistance up to 5 ATM
- Join Strava: Track your workout and connect with a community of runners worldwide
- Track your run time and intervals with one-click lap functionality
- Download apps and customize your dashboard via Android Wear
- GPS and optical heart rate sensors
- Smart notifications
- Fully compatible with NB Pace IQ wireless Bluetooth headphones
New Balance has also come up with their own accessory for those who perform better with music (most people actually). NB’s IP54 rated PaceIQ headphones ($109.99) fully integrate with the NB RunIQ smartwatch ($299.99) to provide on-demand running stats for up to 5 hours of continuous use.
Available for pre-order, RunIQ will launch at retail with a MSRP of $299.99 on February 1st. RunIQ will be available at launch in black and gray face, accessories including watch bands and chargers also available. PaceIQ will be available at retail February 1st with an MSRP of $109.99 and include 3 sets of EarGels™, 1 FitClip™ and a USB cable.
Source: New Balance