Meet the Suunto Spartan, 8 premium multisport GPS watches designed to cater to the athletes and adventurers out there.The Suunto Spartan watches come in 2 versions, Ultra and Sport. The watches are hand-made in Finland and pretty much built to last most outdoor conditions. The main difference between the 2 versions is battery life, material and the lack of a barometer in the Spartan Sport.The Suunto Spartan Ultra ships with glass fiber reinforced polyamide casing, sapphire crystal glass and a grade 5 titanium or stainless steel bezel. Clearly not your run of the mill plastic fitness trackers. Throw in an extremely durable color touch screen with great visibility under bright sunlight and a 100m water resistant rating, you’d understand why Suunto considers the watch Spartan like.Along with the Spartan Ultra, Suunto will also be releasing the Spartan Sport in tandem. The Spartan Sport GPS watches will come with mineral crystal glass and stainless steel bezel, pushers and buckle.
Hardware aside, both new Suunto Spartan series follows in the sporty footsteps of the Ambit 3 series by providing insights to tracked sports activities such as triathlon, swimming, cycling, running, adventure racing, and snow sports.
Train with a heart rate sensor and easily access training load and recovery status to help you plan for the next workout.
Besides the sports modes and outdoor capabilities, the Suunto Spartan functions as an all day activity tracker with smart notifications. The watch will track your daily step count, calories and active time.
All the information is housed within Suunto’s Movescount mobile app.
List of features of Suunto Ultra and Suunto Sport
- All day activity tracker; tracks steps, calories and active time
- 80 pre-set sport modes such as running, cycling, swimming, triathlon and many more.
- Smart notifications enabled
- Sunlight view-able colour touch display
- Measure Peak training effect and recovery time with Suunto Smart Sensor heart rate monitor.
- 100m waterproof
- Barometer, GPS/GLONASS, compass, Bluetooth Smart (Suunto Sport does not have barometer)
- Multiple pre-set sports modes such as triathlon, adventure racing, running and snow sports
- Suunto Spartan Ultra has a battery life of up to 18 hours of training and racing time with Full Power 1sec GPS fix rate, up to 26 hours of training and racing time with Power Save 1sec GPS fix rate. And up to 15 days in watch mode
- Suunto Spartan Sport has a battery life of up to 10 hours of training and racing time with Full Power 1sec GPS fix rate, up to 16 hours of training and racing time with Power Save 1sec GPS fix rate. And up to 10 days in watch mode
- Customisable watch faces
According to Suunto, their Movescount.com online service has also undergone an overhaul. Users can now access heat maps of activities that are essentially locations where people around the area usually train. This might help you discover new routes in your area or when you head off to an unfamiliar location.
Suunto’s 360 promo video is, frankly, painful to watch and shows very little of the new device. Nonetheless, if you’ve got a pair of Google cardboard, knock yourself out in full HD.
The Spartan Ultra collection includes four models: Ultra All Black Titanium, Ultra Stealth Titanium, White and Ultra Black—each available with or without Suunto Smart Sensor for heart rate monitoring. The RRP price of the Suunto Spartan Ultra Titanium will be $799 and Suunto Spartan Ultra $699. (Prices with a HR sensor are $50 higher.)
The Spartan Sport collection features four models. Black, Blue, Sakura andWhite. The RRP price of the Suunto Spartan Sport will be $549 ($599 with the HR sensor).
With the announcement of the 2 Suunto Spartan GPS watches, Suunto has also upped their support game by enabling international warranty for all Suunto products. This means Suunto customers can have their Suunto product repaired under warranty in any Suunto authorized service center around the world.
Suunto has also put on record that the company will be releasing a Suunto Spartan Sport model with wrist based heart rate measurement for the holiday season. Can’t wait!